Re: [OM] Fw: Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olymp

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olympus
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:39:49 -0400
Yes, the 80-200/2.8 Tamron is a fabulous, well-built lens, but it's not as light and svelte as a Zuiko should be. It's also discontinued, but available on the used market in excellent shape for $3-400. A great buy!

As for a 50/1.0, Leica has had the Noctilux in its inventory for about 24 years (currently a 50/1.0). It's a big expensive ($2,600) hunk of glass, but unrivaled at super low light photography. It's too big and specialized for me, but there's always someone who needs "that one extra stop". On an SLR, it would probably have to be even bigger than in it's rangefinder guise (Leica doesn't offer the lens in the R (SLR) mount. Also, the improved focusing accuracy and brightness of a rangefinder really makes a difference at the low light levels you'd use with a Noctilux. The depth of field at F/1.0 is VERY shallow!

Look here for a REAL detailed evaluation http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/tests/M10-50.html.

Skip

At 09:50 PM 6/24/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >If I may butt in here.....How about:
>  >
>  >35/1.4 or 1.8
>  >85/1.4 or 1.8
>  >50/1.0
>  >80-200/2.8

There's already an 85/2 Zuiko. But I would agree on the 80-200, except-
isn't there a killer Tamron in that length and speed? Discontinued? ( I
recall drooling over Skip's sample one day)...And what lens line DOES have a
50/1.0 (current), and what *real* advantage would there be over a 50/1.4?