Re: [OM] Total Bonehead attempts to use 500/f8 mirror lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Total Bonehead attempts to use 500/f8 mirror lens
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:24:42 -0700
Never did I question the OM-4's meter telling me that the
500/8 needed 1/4sec exposure time on a day so bright it hurt to raise my
sunglasses long enough to look through the viewfinder...
Apparently the OM-4's
meter can't see past the realtively huge lens obstruction in the Tokina
500/f8 mirror reflex lens.

Hmmm... I've used numerous mirror lenses with OM-4 bodies, and never experienced what you describe. In fact, mirror lenses generally have a "hot spot" in the center where the spot meter is, and significant fall off in the edges of a stop or more. And unless you WERE spot-metering, the mirror-box sensor would be averaging the entire frame.

Are you sure there isn't some other problem with the lens? My guess is the coupling lever is mis-aligned, and is telling the camera the lens is stopped down when it is actually wide open. This can happen on some T-mounts.

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>