Re: [OM] Reflections on a great weekend shooting NASCAR at Sears Point (

Subject: Re: [OM] Reflections on a great weekend shooting NASCAR at Sears Point (Long)
From: BriarPipes@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:58:22 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/00 5:07:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Funny wunderbrick comments overheard: "I don't know how to use 950f
 the features this thing has, and sometimes I get crossed up and can't
 control them." I smiled and chuckled quietly as I ate my "free lunch"
 (catered for media photographers if you can believe that). In
 discussions of Eos 1V lust, comments like "you can blow through a whole
 roll in less than 4 seconds!" And, if I hear the phrase "tack sharp"
 spounted by another Canon user (WRT AF) I think I'll gag (not to say
 they don't do a good job...after all Canon AF lenses are very good).
 Still see many of the Manual/AF switches switched to manual a lot of the
 time. I guess there is something to be said for time honored pre-focus
 techniques. >>

Great tale there, Mike:

I can certainly relate to what you overheard.  I too shoot pictures in
conjunction with my magazine work (albeit nothing as jazzy as NASCAR).
Recently, I went to interview a CEO and president of a particular company.
While making scheduling arrangements with the company beforehand, the issue
of photos to accompany the featured article was broached.  I offered my
services but the president demurred saying that the company wanted to hire a
pro who "has done work for us in the past."

So I left my OM gear at home.  During the interview the photographer showed
up with some huge NiXon or Mama-mia rig.  As his Gee Whiz camera was spitting
out rolls of film like a 45 semi-auto pistol, the CEO mentioned to the
photographer that he owned the model above that.  The photographer was duly
impressed.  Both admitted that neither one fully understood or utilized all
the otherworldly features of their respective cameras: auto-everything;
email-pager; remote car starter; etc.  During this "love-fest" the phrase
"tack sharp" was lobbed to and fro.

The photos that the "pro" shot were dismal.  The president of the company
called me and sheepishly admitted that I should have shot the pics.  "Before
the interview, my offer to take care of the photo needs was turned down when
the CEO learned that I only use Olympus equipment.  He told his president,
"Who the heck uses Olympus any more?; let's get someone in here who's in the
21st century."

I returned to the company, with my Matthew Brady-era OM relics, and did the
job properly.

James Lawson