[OM] [OT] Need some simple (?) repair advice

Subject: [OM] [OT] Need some simple (?) repair advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:36:26 -0400
A friend gave me a K*n*c* C35 which had suffered a dented filter ring on
her last vacation trip. Sometime afterwards she noticed it didn't work
anymore.  She gave me the old camera, bought a new R*ll**
something-or-other and moved on.  The camera turned out to be
electrically dead but not from the impact.

After hammering out the bent filter ring and removing the CDS sensor and
whole front assembly I discovered that the solder joint between the
negative wire from the battery and the sensor was so badly corroded that
the wire had simply fallen off.  Trying to resolder was useless since
the wire itself was so corroded that solder wouldn't stick to it.  I
kept stripping off insulation looking for bare copper but ran out of
wire.

It was clear that I had to replace the wire so, backtracking to the
battery compartment and removing it, I discovered that that connection
(but not the battery compartment itself) was also badly corroded... so
much so that a light tug on the wire pulled it free.

Then came the fun part.  I removed the springy metal negative contact
from the battery compartment so as not to melt the plastic with the
soldering iron, ground off the corrosion till I got bright, shiny metal,
put on a little flux and tried to tin the contact.  Much to my surprise
the tin/silver solder just rolls off that spring contact like water off
a duck's back.

I've come to the conclusion that I must be trying to solder to stainless
steel.  Perhaps that original wire had been spot welded in place.
Anyhow, I can't seem to make this wire stick to its battery
compartment.  Anyone got any advice on how to fix this?  I've thought of
constructing a new contact from a piece of shim brass... something I can
solder to, but maybe there's an easier way.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA