RE: [OM] Total Bonehead attempts to use 500/f8 mirror lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Total Bonehead attempts to use 500/f8 mirror lens
From: Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:46:27 +0200
:>Apparently the OM-4's
:>meter can't see past the realtively huge lens obstruction in
:the Tokina
:>500/f8 mirror reflex lens.
:
:???
:
:That doesn't jive with my experience with the Tokina 500/8 mirror
:lens, or my understanding of metering. The camera doesn't "see" the
:obstruction - it sees the reflected image off the obstruction.
:
:Do you maybe have an aperture linkage problem that caused your camera
:to assume you were shooting at f/32 or some such?

These are my thoughts too. I have the Tokina 500/8 and it works fine with
the OM-3/4/4Ti, with or without spot metering. The 'realtively huge lens
obstruction' is the front mirror which is part of the optical system and in
no way it interferes with the spot meter.

This lens has a fixed Meter Coupling Pin (instead of a Lever) which should
be in a certain position to tell the camera that the lens isn't stopped
down. If its position is incorrect the camera thinks the lens is stopped
down and adjusts exposure. If the Pin is bent or missing there can also
occur metering problems.

On a bright sunny day it should be no problem handholding this lens at 1/500
using 200 or 400 ASA film.

hnz