RE: [OM] [OT] Need some simple (?) repair advice

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Need some simple (?) repair advice
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:00:57 EDT

>> I've come to the conclusion that I must be trying to solder
>> to stainless
>> steel.  Perhaps that original wire had been spot welded in place.
>> Anyhow, I can't seem to make this wire stick to its battery
>> compartment.  Anyone got any advice on how to fix this?  I've
>> thought of
>> constructing a new contact from a piece of shim brass...
>> something I can
>> solder to, but maybe there's an easier way.

If it was stainless steel, there wouldn't be any corrosion in the first
place. Maybe some battery goo though. You certainly are trying hard to
save this camera! If you can get hold of some springy copper sheet, you
could make a new contact easily. Stiff brass would work also. The part
of the contact that presses against the battery should be tinned to
prevent corrosion of the brass or copper from interupting current flow.
The tinned area will eventually oxidize also, but since it is so soft,
merely rotating the battery against it while it is installed should
clean it off enough to work fine.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright