re [OM] New acquisition (OT) Mamiya 528TL

Subject: re [OM] New acquisition (OT) Mamiya 528TL
From: "dlanor" <dlanor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 00:18:33 +0800
Dave et al,
""Dave  david_bulger@xxxxxxxxxxxx  wrote : -
>got a .. not-used-since-1988 Mamiya/Sekor 528TL
>SLR body.. 48/2.8 lens as gift. ... spot metering only
>Didn't know they had spot metering in ... the sixties.""

Mamiya 528TL is from 1967, as far as I know it had TTL shutter priority auto
exposure using standard averaging metering, not spot.  Mamiya made a range
of similar cameras with spot metering.

Mamiya's first SLR with TTL metering is 500TL of 1966,
At that time they made 35mm SLRs with interchangeable lens
some fixed lens;  used averaging TTL metering or  spot / averaging.

Mamiyas with spot metering are 1000DTL 1968; 500 DTL 1969;
DSX 500, DSX 1000  1974; with the 1975 MSX 500, MSX 1000
using spot meter only.

Spot metering was to be used on the classic Asahi Pentax Spotmatic  so named
as the proptotype had spot metering, this however did not reach production,
Spotmatics use TTL average area metering.

Meanwhile, Olympus just got on with the job of designing the OM system and
introducing built in spot metering in it's reserved understated way.  Until
I got my OM-4, I had lusted for spot metering, but never experienced it.
Once I used the OM-4 with its capacity to average several spots, it replaced
my Nikon FE-2 as my main user SLR.  I then found a T20 flash, and became
enarmoured with the TTL flash control which made flash so much more
workable!

Before all this I had stumbled upon Olympus's other big secret, the very
competant XA rangefinder, so pocketable and such marvelously credible
results!

Thank you for your audience
Ron Ligtermoet
dlanor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx