[OM] Problem with OM Diopter chart

Subject: [OM] Problem with OM Diopter chart
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:23:54 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
Several years ago, someone sent me a copy of the chart of powers of
dioptric correction lenses that is found in the Olympus Sales Info File.
Hans has since put this chart up on his website, and it matches the
version I have in the FAQ.  Recently, however, someone else has pointed
out that, using their +1 diopter reading glasses, they can focus on the
viewfinder in their OM-2N.  They then looked up +1 diopter in the table
below, and ordered a -1 diopter marked lens, assuming that this would
give the same combination as their reading glasses.   It didn't.  Could
this table from Olympus be incorrect?  Or am I misinterpreting it?
Given that Shipman claims the viewfinder itself has a power of -0.5
diopters, I can't seem to reproduce the values in the table.  Seems to
me all the values on the right should should be X.5 instead of X.0
diopters.  What am I missing?

>From the FAQ:

        The number engraved on the lens is the final diopter in conjunction
        with OM body and is listed on the left. The initial (actual)
        diopter of each Dioptric Correction Lens is listed on the right.

        That is also the value of corrective glasses to which it corresponds.
                +2      +4
                +1      +3
                0       +2
                -1      +1