Re: [OM] Reflections on a great weekend shooting NASCAR at Sears Point

Subject: Re: [OM] Reflections on a great weekend shooting NASCAR at Sears Point (Some...
From: BriarPipes@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:43:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/27/00 3:00:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  I never stopped shooting though since auto racing and photography are two
things I really enjoy and combining them just makes sense to me. With the
ability
 to market my work globally via the internet now what once looked like an
 impossible dream is starting to become a reality. Time will tell just
 how much success I will get to enjoy. By doing things my way and on my
 terms I perhaps loose some income potential and will certainly have to
 weigh the options as time moves on, but for now I am pleased with the
 way things seem to be evolving. I would be doing this regardless...but
 trying to make a go of it professionally seems to make sense. I admit
 that I find myself both humbled and discouraged at times...but people
 seem to enjoy what I offer and that helps keep me motivated to keep at
 it. I do know I will never stop learning and evolving what I do, and I
 will always enjoy doing it.

Mike:

All I can say is that if this is what you truly love doing, then keep on
keeping on.  I too have been discouraged by: often slow and low pay;
unrealistic deadlines; vertiginous travel schedules; surly airline employees;
vengeful airport security personnel empowered to slowly pore through my photo
bag--one merely shrugged and muttered an apology when she dropped a Zuiko
tele lens--knowing that my flight is already boarding.  A reporter once told
me that magazine photo work is like urinating in a blue serge suit--it gives
one a nice warm feeling but few people will notice.  Of course this greatly
depends on the magazine.

It is heartwarming though, to receive praise for one's photography--even if
it was shot through lowly OM gear.  Although I have begun using Oly digital
for magazine work, my cameras of choice will be the single-digit OMs.

James Lawson
Et semel emissum volat irrevocabile verbum.