[OM] Re: A bonehead and his 500/8

Subject: [OM] Re: A bonehead and his 500/8
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:47:20 -0400
>These are my thoughts too. I have the Tokina 500/8 and it works fine with
>the OM-3/4/4Ti, with or without spot metering. The 'realtively huge lens
>obstruction' is the front mirror which is part of the optical system and in
>no way it interferes with the spot meter.
>
>This lens has a fixed Meter Coupling Pin (instead of a Lever) which should
>be in a certain position to tell the camera that the lens isn't stopped
>down. If its position is incorrect the camera thinks the lens is stopped
>down and adjusts exposure. If the Pin is bent or missing there can also
>occur metering problems.
>
>On a bright sunny day it should be no problem handholding this lens at 1/500
>using 200 or 400 ASA film.
>hnz

Thankyou very, very much to Hans, Jan, Barry and anybody else that I forgot
to mention for setting me straight in suspecting my lens. I'm not exactly
sure what I'm looking for in terms of a fixed Meter Coupling Pin, but think
I understand the reference to a lever on other OM lenses. (Maybe I'm
looking at the right bit, maybe not.) Prior to reading this post, I noticed
that the detent on the OM-4 fits into a recessed screw head that is sunk
quite far down on the Tokina. That mount screw is in a different place and
thus wouldn't come into play on my Zuikos so I thought that might be part
of the problem, but when mounting the Tokina 500/8 on the OM-1n which
doesn't have the detent the meter still read 1/4 even when the lens was
pointed right at a bare light bulb. With a 28, 35 or 50 mm lens mounted
both OM-4 and OM-1n meters call for a more reasonable 1/500 or 1/1000 when
set at f8. So I know the problem is with the 500/8. I'm going to let
Keh.com take it from here, since that's where I got the lens from in the
first place and I've heard nothing but positives about their standing
behind what they sell. We'll see.

Again, thanks to those of you that took the time to post about this.

Mike Swaim