[OM] Re: an old fantasy

Subject: [OM] Re: an old fantasy
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:14:33 -0400
Garry mused:
> Watching "1900 House" has revive an old mischievous thought- what if
tomorrow
>everyone woke up and were suddenly face with have to use the equipment,
films, and techniques of 1900's. Imagine the panic. Imagine the "PRO" world
decimated. Imagine the out crying of
>anguish at having no light meters; to do you own chemistry; contract
printing. Imagine no color, no one hour labs, no adobe photoshop. Imagine
no 35mm. No lenses faster than 3.5. Glass
>Plates load in the darkroom and exposed one at a time. Tray development.
>
>               yours being a little sadistic this morning,
>
>                               Garry D. Lewis

I don't know that I'd choose to go to lugging plates, glass and chemicals
but something that I believe is helping me improve my B&W 35mm work is
getting serious about 6x6 MF shooting with a 75/3.5 TLR and an 85/2.8 SLR
both configured only for waistlevel glass composing. (The 85/2.8 SLR MF
really should count as an 85/5.6 SLR since it isn't so great on the fast
end.) I flirted with 120 slide film just because it's so damn entrancing,
but couldn't figure out what to do with it beyond holding it up to the
light to look at it, so now 1000f my MF stuff is B&W. You know what?
Color was easy to give up. So was having somebody else mangle my prints at
a higher price than I could deal with. I'm having trouble with metering
light, but given my recent track record, learning to SWAG it sounds like an
imperative to me. If you'd substitute 1950-1960 for 1900, I could probably
enjoy photography just fine. ;-) In 1900 I might not have lived long enough
to even hear of photography, what with high infant mortality, etc. (Now
there's a cheery thought.)

Mike Swaim