Re: [OM] New Olympust printer

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olympust printer
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:20:23 -0500
Hi Tom,

At 10:03 AM 6/28/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>It looks interesting, but I'd spend the money on the Epson. I have both the
>Epson 1270 inkjet and the Alps MD-1300 Dye Sub.  The Alps produces wonderful
>prints, but the Epson equals or surpasses it and prints up to 13x19. So,
>unless the Oly printer is less than $400, which I doubt, I'd go with the
>Epson. I would bet the consumables on the Oly are high too. They're very
>high on the Alps.

I'd recommend waiting a bit before buying the 1270 however.  Some people on
the Epson list are very nearly mobilized to file a class-action suit
against Epson because of their advertising that prints with their new paper
and new inks are "long lasting."  Henry Wilhelm's tests, released
apparently with Epson's blessing (they paid for them), indicates a problem
with the cyan ink such that it is unstable in the presence of ozone (I'm
not making this up), at least during the curing period (first 24 hours).
Several Epson list members have noticed a shift to orange in prints they
had supposed were "archival."  Do you think some of these folks were a bit
mad?  Yow.

These printers have the "smart chip" cartridges, so that there is not yet a
third-party alternative.  You're stuck with their ink.  So if you've got
one, cover your prints with a piece of paper for the first 24 hours and
keep them away from sources of ozone.

I recommend Epson too.  The 1160. Same 13x19 capability.  Get yourself a
continuous inking system for it and print with Generations pigment inks or
whatever you want.  Or find a used PhotoEX or 1200 if you prefer a
six-color printer like the 1270.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA