Re: [OM] eBay 400mm F6.3

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay 400mm F6.3
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:33:33 +0000
Has anyone else noticed how simmilar the performance of a
300/4.5 with a 1.4X TC (420/6.3)  is to a 400/6.3 ?  Makes me wonder if
Olympus didn't just take a 300/4.5 and build a 1.4 into it ;-)

Only kidding.

The 400/6.3 does have better performance at the wider apertures.

The price comparison is interesting also - about $660 for the 300/4.5 +
1.4 combo and $1100 for the 400/6.3 (Thanks Skip)

The Tamron 400/4 SP trounces both of these alternatives, and that is when
tested with the OM1, I wonder how it would fare if tested with an OM4/2000
with mirror and aperture pre-fire.

400mm f/6.3 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-2000 with mirror and diaphram prefire

Vignetting = none
Distortion = Slight pincushion
Aperture    Center    Corner

f/6.3       C+        C+
f/8         B         B-
f/11        B+        B-
f/16        B+        B
f/22        B+        B
f/32        B+        B+

Notes: Moderately high contrast images.
OM-4T with mirror and aperture prefire

Aperture    Center  Corner

f/4.5 (6.3) C-      C-
f/5.6 (8)   C+      C+
f/8 (11)    B-      B-
f/11 (16)   B       B-
f/16 (22)   A-      B+
f/22 (32)   B+      B
f/32 (45)   B       B-

Notes: Different lens than above test.  Moderately low
contrast at f/4.5 (f/6.3 effective); moderate contrast
at f/5.6, 8, and 32; high contrast at f/11 to 22.

Thanks to Gary, as ever, for the test results.

Giles