RE: [OM] Re: Strappage

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Strappage
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
Dave Bulger wrote:
WHY are there so many cameras in the world with minor to major brassing
around the strap lugs when the ability to prevent this comes with every
strap?  I'm talking about the little leather pad that is strung on the
lug ring of the strap -- properly installed, this little guy is
wonderful at preventing the metal-to-metal contact between the strap
ring and the camera, therefore preventing brassing.
Dave,

This does not prevent brassing, at least on black bodies, although it
may slow it down a little. I've had my "Henry Ford" (any colour so long
as it's black) OM-2S for nearly 15 years and I have only ever used a
canvas Olympus strap that is quite narrow and allows the loops at the
ends of the strap to be threaded directly onto the split rings. There
is no metal-to-metal contact but the brassing is noticeable. I think
the black paint is not tough enough to withstand constant rubbing from
the strap, which must be quite abrasive, over a period of years.

Regards,

Ray