Re: [OM] Re: Multicoating

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Multicoating
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:06:05 +0000
Vaughan,
The 200/4 and 300/4.5 were made in both single and later in multi-coating.
According to Lee Hawkins' Multi-Coating Cross Reference:
  http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt
the 200/4 went MC circa 10/78 and the 300/4.5 circa 12/81.  Both apparently
are among the earlier lenses dating to circa 1974.  Both TC's have
supposedly always been MC.

The 300/4.5 has 6e/4g making your book's stats suspect.  With the lens and
group/element description, but without a cutaway, my guess is it's an
asymmetric which should have less flare problem than a symmetric.  With
only a few groups you could easily use single coating (i.e., multi-coating
it wouldn't gain that much).  Mine is an F.Zuiko (confirming SC and six
elements).  I really don't feel complusion to sell it off for an MC
version.  The contrast has been more than sufficient for me and it passes
my "unscientific-but-practical" sharpness test with medium speed
transparencies (Kodachrome-64 and Ektachrome-100) projected on a 50" screen.

The MC would be more important to me with a symmetric design, but still it
takes a back seat to condition and overall performance.  The first coating
is what gains the bulk of coating benefit for light transmission and flare
reduction.  Who knows what decision-making criteria were for the sequence
in which lenses went from SC to MC.  Could have been any number of market
and competition reasons thrown in as well.

I think you will be pleased with both the 200/4 and 300/4.5 lenses.  I've
hand held the 200/4; it's light and small enough, but it's also at the
limit of what I can hold steady in a well braced stance.  The 300 is tripod
only, and I'd try to use the 2X-A with 135/2.8 if I needed something
approaching that length without tripod (in spite of Gary Reese's test
results on the combo).

The 180/2.8 and 1.4X-A TC are on the long-term wish list, but don't think
I'll sell the 200mm even if there's a 180/2.8 in the stable.

[For those not familiar with the general reasons for MC on a lens, no
single coating can cover the entire visible spectrum.  An SC is usually
centered in the visible spectrum giving a yellowish or greenish cast.  The
multiple colors usually seen in an MC are the centering of coatings at
various points in the spectrum to broaden the benefit of coating across a
greater region of the spectrum.  I suppose one could/would also influence
overall color response with the center wavelengths selected for each
coating in the design.]

-- John

At 00:14 6/27/00 , Vaughan Bromfield wrote:
>Folks
>
>I dug out my big black OM System Lens Handbook last night. It is the
>October 1985 edition (marked C24E-Oct.1985 in the back) and has the 100
>f2, 180 f2, 250 f2 and 350 f2.8 lenses but not the 90 f2 macro.
>
>Anyway, I've discovered a few interesting things. Most lenses are
>specified as "multicoated" but there are a couple of exceptions:

[snip]

>Zuiko 200mm f4
>Not specified as being multicoated in the book, nor is multicoating
>mentioned in the text (page 148).
>
>Zuiko 300mm f4.5
>Not specified as being multicoated in the book, nor is multicoating
>mentioned in the text (page 152). Of interest is the note "the front of
>the lens features a luxurious 4-elements in 3-groups construction, with
>a combination of high refractive index glass and extraordinary partial
>dispersion glass to greatly reduce chromatic aberrations."

[snip]