Re: [OM] Flash for novices

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash for novices
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:56:25 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Lex Jenkins wrote:

> Tony, first, check out Ian Nichols' concert photos at this URL:
>
> http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/nichols/nichols.html
>
> All ambient light, either daylight or stagelight.  Flash usually is
> necessary.

Thanks for the recommendation, Lex.  Whilst I normally eschew the use of
flash for this sort of thing, one of those pictures (Mooz02) has a teeny
bit of fill-in from a camera-mounted flash.

Recently, I'v experimented, with some success, with using a T32 on the
detached handle part of a bg2, in TTL mode.  I intend to get a longer
TTL cord at some point, so that I can move the flash head even further
off to the side.  This was brought on by my usual shooting venue
pointing all the lights at the musicians' feet.  Most places I still use
available light.

My personal recommendation would be if you have (or can borrow) one, use
a monopod and 400ASA or higher film if you're going to try this without
flash.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |