Re: Other interests (was Re: [OM] Thanks to all...)

Subject: Re: Other interests (was Re: [OM] Thanks to all...)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 03:22:32 PDT
Sounds very familiar, Jay. I was a cycle commuter in Southern California for many years and rode with a touring club in Mexico too. Did all my own maintenance - still have the tools, in fact, like those skinny little hub wrenches. Like you, I discovered upon moving back to Texas that there's little regard for cyclists, other than as challenging moving targets.

Used to shoot high power rifle, various pistol matches and 10-meter airgun matches too, 'til an annoying neurological condition made it impossible for me to hold steadily enough to be competitive.

While the ham radio bug has never bitten, I've been a scannist and shortwave listener for years. Before that it was motorcycles.

Guys and toys.

Hey, that'd be a good title for a musical parody...

From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:07:24PM -0700, Lex Jenkins wrote:
> Wouldn't surprise me to find that many of us share other hobbies and
> pursuits. An appreciation for a well-engineered mechanism that simplifies
> work or complex tasks crosses many areas of interest.

Yup...

> Cycling may be the most energy-efficient form of transportation.

I used to enjoy it, until it got to be too much work - you ever ride around
Houston? Talk about taking your life into your hands...

> Other common interests I've discovered among photographers who also enjoy > their cameras for the engineering aspects of the mechanisms: the shooting
> sports, especially shotgunning;

Check, more or less (for me, it's IPSC practical pistol shooting, something
which I'm quite bad at, but enjoy, and haven't done anywhere near enough of
lately)...

> amateur radio;

Check (de K5ZC)...

> classic car collecting or restoration;

I've managed to avoid that so far, mainly because:

> and, not last or least, these confounded computers.

Check (just look at my TOPE 1 entry - and that's less than half of my
complete collection, though it's the half I use most).