[OM] Wavelet compression [was: jpeg2000]

Subject: [OM] Wavelet compression [was: jpeg2000]
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:52:58 +0200
>Was just reading about jpeg2000 in PC magazine -- if you're curious, go
>see/download freeware Luratech at
>http://www.luratech.com/products/productoverview/lurawave/fs_e.html

Hm, I've checked the site and apparently only "lite" or "demo" versions
are free. If anyone is interested in wavelet compression, check also

http://www.ermapper.com/online/software/utility/ecwcompress/index.htm

They offer, among the other, a free Photoshop plug-in and a free
compressor for files up to 500 MB large.

If you want to see this technology in action, check their other site
www.earthetc.com. Images of up to 60 GB in size are served over the
internet and can be interactively paned and zoomed from your browser.

[We're using their image processing software at the Department and I was
just exploring compression possibilities to put huge scans of geological
maps on the web, hence I jumped in - sorry if it is OT]

Marko Vrabec
Kamnik, Slovenia