Re: [OM] Re: Other interests (Way OT but what the hey...) -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Other interests (Way OT but what the hey...) -Reply
From: "Hilary Stone" <Hilary.Stone@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:57:11 +0100
Though I haven't contributed to the discussion on the OM group before I
think I may now have some thoughts which might be useful to Scott Nelson at
least. I'm a cycle journalist here in the UK and also do a little coaching
particularly with children who are racing on their bikes. And surprisingly
some of them sometimes suffer from lower back pain too. With one child
regular sit-ups cured his back pain ­ cyclists don't have a lot of upper
body strength and strengthening those back muscles and tummy muscles did the
trick. However lower back pain when riding a bike is often down to an
incorrect position. Without seeing Scott on a bike I wouldn't want to be
definite about what changes to make. But lower back pain can be down to a
too low position, a too stretched position and a cramped upright position or
an upright position with the wrong type of saddle. Even those cyclists whose
lower back pain is caused by an accident injury generally find that a riding
position can be found which will be reasonably comfortable over a good
number of miles. It is certainly worth trying a variety of riding positions
to see what suits your back.
    And recumbents are great for those with back troubles. But don't worry
too much about being seen. Recumbents are so unusual that even low down you
will get noticed as long as you remember never to go down the right hand of
large vehicles such as coaches or lorries (here in Britain we have to make
sure we don't go down the left side). I have ridden a Windcheetah tricycle
recumbent in very heavy traffic and whilst at first you feel a bit
intimidated that feeling wears off after some experience. And some years ago
in London I spent several weeks commuting with a Trice recumbent in the
London rush hour and had less problems than when I was on my normal upright
bike. And don't forget that riding a bike is less dangerous than doing no
exercise. The BMA (British Medical Association) reckoned that the benefits
in increased from small amounts of regular cycling far outweighed the
additional hazard posed by the traffic. I don't what your local conditions
are like Scott, but I thoroughly enjoyed cycling in Boston a few years back
though I can't say the same of Houston.
Scott, Contact me off line if you need any further advice on riding position
etc
Hilary Stone