Re: [OM] Flash for novices <shooting shows>

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash for novices <shooting shows>
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:08:09 +1000
Lex wrote:

> Yup, it's unfortunate that great rock concert photography is a thing of the
> past.  Lawyers, marketing hype and control-freak performers have pretty much
> killed off that type of photography.

I had an interview yesterday to get into the Sydney Opera House Markets
on Sundays. While showing my stuff (all shot on OM!) one of the
interviewers noticed some photos of the Opera House. She began to tell
me (in a nice kind of way) how a lot of businesses in Sydney are
creating corporate logos and advertising material that have the very
identifiable sails or silhouette of the Opera House in them. In order to
"protect" their "image" the Opera House management is in the process of
going down hard on this unauthorised use. "But it'll be the little guys
like you that'll end up getting squashed" she said, referring to the
fact that in the near future, any published photographs of the Opera
House will be checked for authorisation and the photographer will get
the bill.

I should have asked "What about oil and watercolour paintings of the
Opera House, will they get done too?" but didn't think of it then. She
was only the messengeranyway, not the decision maker.

So it's not just concerts that have gone tough with photography, it's
landmark building owners/designers too. Some "leading Australian
architects" are trying to assert that photographing one of their
buildings constitutes breach of their copyright. Sheesh.

For those outside of Sydney Australia, Kerry Packer (Aussie TV and print
media tycoon) paid for the fireworks used for the Year 2000 New Years
Eve celebration, then got away with claiming copyright on them and
prevented any other media including our ABC from broadcasting images of
them (they distributed some megre "pool" clips but would not allow other
networks to set up their own cameras at the best locations). So anybody
who took photos on New Years Eve, be careful none of them have any
fireworks in the background!

<sigh>

Vaughan