Re: [OM] Newbie comments, Mamiya/Sekor, and 'Lympus Lust

Subject: Re: [OM] Newbie comments, Mamiya/Sekor, and 'Lympus Lust
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:18:27 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/00 8:13:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Keith shared:
<< I'd like to say that my starting off with an OM-1 all those years ago was
 down to my great judgement and discernment but I have to admit that it was
 just a lucky fluke. Knowing what I know now, and if I had to begin all over
 again with an SLR outfit, I'd almost certainly go OM again unless I was in
 desperate need for autofocus.>>
Keith,
I remember well being faced with the grand decision (let me change that to
AGONIZING) of which camera system to invest in. It was 1975, I had just
arrived in Germany as a teacher  for the US Army and had the luscious Army
camera clubs with a HUGE selection of the newest and best. I was lugging all
over Europe a very heavy Mamiya/Sekor 500DTL (yes Dave..one also has the
screw-on tele and wide adapters) that i had purchased from JC Penney in 1973
during college and was ready for better quality glass. I bought the
camera-buying guides, read them all till bleary-eyed, took numerous trips to
the PX to feel and click them. Nary a one of my friends thought i should get
the OM..they seemed to be hung in Canon or Minolta-land.....and then I was
almost swayed by the cuteness and lesser price of the Fugi AZ-1 (I shiver to
think how close i was to that one!)....It got so bad i was dreaming camera
systems every night. I finally broke down and got the OM1 with the 50mm 1.8,
and it was love at first touch...and followed  in early '77 with  the OM2,
yada yada...
So I can take credit for my choice, and have never regreted it for a moment.
Few consumer decisions will ever garner you as many years of pleasure or
sheer quality of product as these little babies...
Susan

Susan Steele
Amherst, VA USA