(Fwd) [OM]Bokeh- was: Photo Gallery submission

Subject: (Fwd) [OM]Bokeh- was: Photo Gallery submission
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:30:57 +0000
Subject: [OM]Bokeh- was: Photo Gallery submission
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:25:14 +0000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:58:49 PDT
   <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hey, Olaf,

>Yup, the bokeh topic does tend to be taken out, dusted
>off and drummed loud
>and long every now and then, hmm?

>I'm not sure I'd call the background in Ranjal's
>spiderweb photo "bad" bokeh
>because in the context of that image it echoed the
>geometric patterns of the
>spiderweb itself.  So, to my tastes, it was an
>acceptable and even desirable
>manifestation of that optical characteristic.

>And, as you said, there's more to bokeh, good or
>otherwise, than the element
>of iris-shaped flare or highlight patterns.  So much
>depends on the
>background itself.

Personally, I enjoyed the way the picture came out,
and it was a bit of a learning experience for me.  BTW,
the picture was shot wide open at f/1.8.  It was pretty
difficult to focus properly because the web was all in
one narrow plane; it was difficult to make it stand out
from the background.  I was pleasantly surprised that in
the picture, it kind of jumps out at you.
 I might have another picture of the same web taken with
my 135 f/2.8, I'll dig it up and try to scan it in to
look at the bokeh on that one.

Regards,
Ranjan