[OM] Olympus Photo gallery submission

Subject: [OM] Olympus Photo gallery submission
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:33:43 PDT
Hi,

I'm not sure I'd call the background in Ranjal's spiderweb photo "bad" bokeh because in the context of that image it echoed the geometric patterns of the spiderweb itself.

Well, I wasn't saying it doesn't go well in the picture (although I personally would have preferred to not see it, as it immediately drew my attention away from the spider web). What I was saying was that this type of bokeh falls into the category of what is considered bad bokeh (i.e. very unsmooth with the diaphragm shape (clearly) visible, yielding a highly distracting section in the picture).

So, to my tastes, it was an acceptable and even desirable manifestation of that optical characteristic.

This, of course, is a matter of taste. Personally I could live without it, but I do see what you mean when writing about the similarities in the geometrical shapes. However, as the things one normally photographs do not tend to have a hexagonal shape, it is still (in my eyes) an undesirable lens characteristic; be it one that perhaps adds to this particular picture's composition...

And, as you said, there's more to bokeh, good or otherwise, than the element of iris-shaped flare or highlight patterns. So much depends on the background itself.

Yes. Unfortunately these topics are not covered at all in the document I provided the link to. But indeed, the "bokeh-killer-test" is a about as difficult a situation as one can bestow on a lens...

BTW, the emu may have been drunk. It was feasting on rotting fruit in our orchard, which often smells like a brewery in late summer.

:)))
Well, the "facial expression" certainly attests to that! ;)

Cheerio!
Olafo