Re: [OM] copyright issues

Subject: Re: [OM] copyright issues
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:22:07 -0700
In a message dated 6/30/2000 "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< I took a brief look at US copyright law and I'm not convinced that
taking a picture of an object that is copyrighted is a violation of
that right. Copyright means that you can't copy the object. A
photograph is not a copy of any three dimensional object. I don't see
the basis for any of this. I will continue to investigate however......

Please keep us advised as to what you find out. In the racing
photography world this is a very serious (and hotly debated) issue. In
fact, this year NASCAR tried to do what the NFL does which is not allow
media credentialed photographers to keep their own work among other
things that alientated the media until they (NASCAR) backed down. Print
sales by racing photographers is also something that is part of this
debate. What I and others maintain is that so long as our print sales
are "limited art" prints that we are okay as we are entitles as
"artists" to sell our "art." One major racing sanctioning body I am
aware of has threated some photographers that if they sell prints
obtained with a media credential that they would "blackball" their
ability to receive credentials in the future. It's not like many of us
who shoot motorsports are getting rich off of it, a few do well, but
like most types of photogography, most (like me) struggle.

Thanks for your insights thus far and keep us posted as to what you find
out.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com