Re: [OM] Lens or body problem?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens or body problem?
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:47:00 +0100
Gregg asks
> Did anyone have any suggestions for John and/or me?

(concerning the problem I reported with an OM4T and 90/2 macro not
co-opertaing).

Nobody came up with any suggestions that I spotted. Earlier this week
I took a trip over to the nearest Oly service agent (Luton Cameras in
Bristol - in a distinctly "interesting" part of the city!).

Fortunately the engineer himself was onsite and had a long look at it.
It seems that the lever in the body which actuates the stop-down lever
on the lens is on the thick side, and the lens mount is likewise. So
when the body lever moves up it snags half-way on the mount, which
arrests the exposure sequence. Turning the lens as if to remove it
moves the lever in the right direction so the rest of the exposure
process takes place - i.e. diaphragm is stopped down and shutter
fires.

This is rather odd. To fix the body would mean an almost complete
strip down and rebuild, which is a lot of beer vouchers for a 4Ti.
Idiot that I am, it didn't occur to me until I was on the train home
to ask if the lens wuold be more amenable to treatment - maybe just
fitting a replacement mount would do it, or maybe the existing one
needs sanding by a quarter millimetre or so.

I think I'll ring Gary the engineer and see if this alternative tactic
might bear fruit. If not I'll try writing to Oly UK, but I'm not
optimistic particularly as both body and lens were bought used.

Note for UK readers - Gary the Luton engineer spent a long time
playing and tweaking, didn't charge anything and recommended against
the expensive body work, which makes him a decent guy in my book.

John