re : [OM] TeleConverter

Subject: re : [OM] TeleConverter
From: "dlanor" <dlanor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 12:36:56 +0800
>Sam Shiell Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx asks:
>Cash Converters ..2X tele-converter... AICO... 7 UK Pounds
>worth the bother? problems ? What should I check?
>never bought from Cash Converts .. haggle?

Well Sam,
There are a lot of Japanese/ Asian Tele Conv. about, all sorts of brands,
I've grabbed 1 or 2 over the years, but made litle use of them.  First
question has to be why do you want one instead of a tele lens?  Then how
much money do you want to spend?

To save cost and increase Tele effect, get one and try it, I don't know much
about brands, assume name brands (Olympus, etc) would give better results,
but you pay for it!  7pounds is not spending much, you may find them
cheaper?    Go for it as starting point, then assess the results and see if
you still like it?

Check?  Preferrably with caps, as with any lens check it is clear and free
of scratches, bubbles, chips, grime, fungus, cleaning marks?  Take your
camera, or use a store camera, ensure it fits, apertures stop down, you get
focus.  Before leaving home have a thorough look at the body mount and lens
of your Olympus to make sure you are getting a complete item that will fit.

Cash Converters started in Perth Western Australia as a hock shop and
brought a  bit of respectability and standards to pawnbroking and second
hand merchandising.  26 stores in WA, stores in the rest of Australia,
overseas expansion ongoing; even on Stock Exchanges!

They offer 30 day warranty, but as with any second hander, they sell things
without know exactly what it is or should be.  I have seen all sorts of
partial items, critical lens parts missing.  You are on your own assessing
this, while helpful, staff camera knowledge might be limited to a PHD camera
(press here dummy)

Price?  Probably open to negotiation?  Try it and see, at 7pounds they may
not ascede, depends on their view, how quickly they can shift it, how long
has it been on the shelf!

If all else fails, you find you've bought a piece of crap, sell it back to
them, try another one. If you can't afford a Zuiko tele, try other brand to
get you by until you can get the Zuiko.  Also, keep your eyes open, I've
often seen cameras with tele lens, tele converters, macro zoom converters,
on them for sale same price as body with 50mm.  If you see one, maybe you
can buy it and then sell the body?

Ultimately, at 7pound, give it a go, might  suit you, might not, that is
your call!

Happy buying and clicking
Ron Ligtermoet
dlanor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx