Re: [OM] Flash for novices <shooting shows>

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash for novices <shooting shows>
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 16:53:36 +1000
Vaughan Bromfield wrote

> In order to
> "protect" their "image" the Opera House management is in the process of
> going down hard on this unauthorised use.

It could be to do with the Olympics. The Opera House appears
as part of that logo, and in order for the (State Government) Olympic
authority to enforce royalties for that, the (State Government)
Opera House trust would have to defend its rights to the Opera House
design. (I guess - I'm not a lawyer.)

That said, anything which discourages use of the Opera House as
a symbol of Sydney is probably bad for the State government in the
long run. Imagine if Eiffel had prohibited likenesses of his
tower!

There's a movement to have Utzon's original interior design installed;
I think Dick Smith may be involved. You might like to contact this group
(perhaps via _Australian Geographic_) and tell your story. As the building
needs a very large amount of money spent on it, a condition of funding
whether from government or charity could be perpetual public ownership of
the facade/design/copyright. Being a publisher and filmmaker, Smith
probably understands the issue.

Not that I like the Opera House anyway - form doesn't follow function,
and by all reports it doesn't function very well either.

> I should have asked "What about oil and watercolour paintings of the
> Opera House, will they get done too?"

The Brett Whitely painting [for non-Aussies, famous dead painter]
would make a tasty test case. If he were alive, that guy would
*love* Velvia and fisheye lenses.