RE: [OM] fwd: Dodgital Cameras etc

Subject: RE: [OM] fwd: Dodgital Cameras etc
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:23:14 -0500
To print 8x10 well, you need a digital image at least 2000x1600 pixels in
size, though some say 3000x4800 is necessary for best possible quality.
Naturally, any JPEG compression used on these images will eat into the
quality.

This image size requires at least a top of the line 'prosumer' camera like
the Nikon Coolpix 990 or Olympus C-3030 or C3000 - these are in the
$850-$950 range.

For 4x6 snapshots, 800x1200 to 1200x1800 is the ticket, so you can get a
cheaper digital camera for snapshots ($300 to $600), but  scan  real film
for high quality images if you are going to get a film scanner anyway.

I have used a Coolpix 990, and printed at 8x10 with very  impressive results
using an Epson Photo 870 printer. I don't have any experience with the
Olympus offering, but it really comes down to what features you want. The
Olympus has a wider angle  zoom, the Nikon focuses closer. The Olympus is
more 'pocketable', the Nikon better for shooting things from ground level or
from above your head. There are similar tradeoffs throughout the feature
list.

I use an HP Photosmart film scanner, which does very good work for $500 and
will give me a 3300x2200 scan from a 35mm frame. Naturally, higher quality
will take more money.

Keep in mind that a 2000x1350 pixel image (for example) from a digital
camera like the  Nikon 990 does not contain quite as much real information
in it as does the same size scan from film, due to the way digital  cameras
assign the color for each pixel.

As for the printer, the best right now is the  Epson Photo 870 or 1270.  The
former can be had for as little as $242 in the US and will print up to 8x10.

Looks to me you could do fairly decently for $1200 total, and put together a
really hot system for $2000. Save some money  for film, paper, & ink though!
In the UK, your mileage may vary.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx