Re: [OM] OT- Flatbed Scanner recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT- Flatbed Scanner recommendation
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:52:05 +0100
Ranjan asks
> I know this has come up often on the list now and
> again.  I was considering buying a Microtek
> Scanmaker X6 EL (in part because I'm getting a good deal
> on it at a local office store).  I really haven't
> been able to gauge from reviews on the 'net how
> good this would be for my puspose, i.e. scanning
> photographs.  Anyone have any experience with this
> flatbed scanner?

I have the Scanmaker X6 - not sure what the extra "EL" signifies, but
I think it's basically the same animal. I bought it with the optional
Silverfast driver software, which is heaps better than Microtek's own
driver. There is another driver program around which has been
mentioned often on the list, can't remember the name.

I like it. It seems several quality steps up from the cheapo
bucket-shop offerings, and is several (hundred) price steps down from
the serious Linotype scanners that cost thousands. It was a good
price-quality compromise for me. Given the choice I would still prefer
to scan from neg, simply because the person/machine doing the printing
is taken out of the loop, but it's not always possible.

I also got the trannie adapter, because I thought a friend was going
to want some medium-format negs scanned. It is virtually useless for
35mm, not sure how it would fare with 6 x 6 or bigger. I suggest not
bothering with it unless you know you might want to try some larger
format stuff.

Hope this helps
John

By the way, since the subject line contains OT, can I just ask if
you've noticed who is STILL leading the Tour de France?