Re: [OM] Olympus Ace E Rangefinder

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Ace E Rangefinder
From: Canon50E@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:49:10 EDT
skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< OK, I don't know what an Ace looks like.  On the Olympus site in Japan,
 these are the likely candidates.  Is one of these pictures the Ace?

 1. http://www.olympus.co.jp/Special/CameraHistory/auto.html
 2. http://www.olympus.co.jp/Special/CameraHistory/sii1_8.html
 3. http://www.olympus.co.jp/Special/CameraHistory/widee.html

 Skip >>

The answer is none of the above.  I have some very poor scans from my '95-'96
McKeown book and since the Ace/Ace E photos are located near the seam, it
could not lay flat on the scanner.

http://members.aol.com/canon50e/ace.jpg (Olympus Ace)
http://members.aol.com/canon50e/acee.jpg  (Olympus Ace E)

According to McKeown's guide, the Olympus Ace was the first attempt to an
interchangeable lens rangefinder by Olympus.  The Ace E is a upgrade version
of the Ace with match-needle metering (selenium).  The Tower 19 (the one I
have) is made for Sear's Tower by Olympus and is identical to the Ace E, it
has the same Zuiko lens and in the back of the leatherette it engraved
"Olympus/Tokyo Made in Japan."  Sooner or later when I start tinkering with
my Tower 19, I'll take a bunch of pictures of this camera as well as its
innards, if I get that far.  So stay tuned to our site at:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics

Anyone know where I can find a manual for the Ace E?  I've checked Craig
Camera with no luck.  Once I'm fond of camera I would like to find
information to learn about it.

Sincerely yours,
Kar Yan Mak