Re: [OM] OM-1 cleaning information requested / Gunk in viewfinder

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 cleaning information requested / Gunk in viewfinder
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:50:36 EDT
>OK,
>
>I now know that I have to remove the top cover of my OM-1 to clean the
>inside of the prism.  Next question is how?

Well, there is no "inside" to the prism. It's a chunk of glass. There
is some foam around the where the flash shoe mounts on the camera. The
foam rots and de-silvers the mirror coating. In your case the damage is
already done. Removing the foam will only prevent further damage. In
theory, the prism can be resilvered, but I don't know anyone that has
done that.

The top cover has basically three things holding it on: 2 screws under
the rewind knob, a thin ring around the flash shoe mounting socket, and
wide threaded retaining ring around the wind shaft. You need a very
small Phillips screwdriver, a small pointed tool, and a spanner wrench
with 'pencil point' tips. The screwdriver is for the screws under the
rewind knob, the small pointed tool I use to unscrew the flash shoe
ring (note: this is *not* the proper tool - I don't know the proper
tool), and the spanner wrench is used to take off the wind lever and
the retaining ring thereunder. Once the cover is off, you can see the
foam on the prism.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright