Re: [OM] Canon slide / negative scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon slide / negative scanners
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:20:56 +0200
Yo,

on Thu, 06 Jul 2000 15:01:50 -0400, Michael Dodson wrote:

>I too have been thinking about the 2710.  One review I saw on the 2700 said
>it stinks but the reviewer thought the 2710 was a VAST improvement, so watch
>out for opinions based on the earlier machine.
>
>I want to scan slides to essentially have a dry darkroom. Image quality is
>important to me.  So is my bank account!

I had a look at and tested several slide scanners before I bought one not
too long ago (about 3 months). IMHO the best of the affordable models is the
Nikon Coolscan LS III, with the Canon 2710 very closely behind it. As the
two also aren't very far apart as far as price is concerned I had more or
less made up my mind to go for the Nikon when my wholesaler received the
first new Acer ScanWit 2720S which, of course, I also tested. As I found it
to be technically at least on par with the Canon (may be even slightly
better), at not much more than half the price, the ScanWit is what I have
now, and so far I have not regretted my decision.
If you would like to see a few scans made with it you might want to have a
look at
http://www.translators.de/gallery

Of course, scans made for www-presentation do justice neither to the scanner
nor to the original film material, but they might at least give you a
superficial impression of whether you like what the scanner does or not.
Also, there aren't too many shots in the gallery yet, but I'll try to add
some as soon as I have some time to spare.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx