[OM] OM-4 Repair

Subject: [OM] OM-4 Repair
From: PaulThBrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:57:21 EDT
OK, some would say I'm crazy to think about repairing my beloved OM-4, but I
have had good luck with similar repairs, have access to clean rooms/laminar
flow benches and circuit repair/surface mount gear.  I really do not want to
spend ~$200 getting this repaired professionally.

My guess is that it is a loose connector, broken circuit trace or cold solder
joint.  The symptoms are as follows and have existed for over five years:
- Camera operates perfectly normally with the exception of the spot meter
modes, memory store (LED light doesn't flash), and the metering system does
not turn on when the shutter release is depressed lightly like it should.

- The meter system does turn on and work (with the exception of spot
metering) if the Auto/Manual switch is turned to the 'Battery Check' position
and then back to 'Auto' or 'Manual'.

- The self timer works, as does the flash.

All the symptoms seem to me to point to something near the shutter release
button.  My question is, are there step by step instructions on available as
to how to remove the top plate to gain access to this area?  Do the symptoms
point to anything other than a bad joint or connection?  Is this a 'normal'
failure mode of the OM-4?  Are there any other symptoms I can provide to help
diagnose the problem?

Thanks everyone!

Paul