Re: [OM] OT:aussie v greenland: island continent

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:aussie v greenland: island continent
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:26:33 -0500
At 02:48 PM 7/11/2000 +0900, you wrote:
>Gregg wrote:
>>
>> Also, Antartica is surrounded by water (ice) but isn't an island.
>
>That's probably because it's not "land" (well at least on the surface)
>...so Antartica should be known as isice :-)??
>
>> Gregg

Shoot, Gregg.  Greenland just isn't that big.  It's the distortion of those
Mercader maps that makes it look like 4/5 of the world's land mass is in
Siberia and the Northwest Territories (both big and lovely places, I'm
sure, but not quite that big).

Australia is a continent because Europeans settled there and said, "This
sucker's big and a long ways away and now we get to have a place called The
Bush so let's make a map."  Nobody needs a map of Greenland except for the
lower part of it so you don't run into it or stuff that falls off of it.

Antarctica is a continent because it's close to Australia and they didn't
have any other way of thinking about it. Foxy will vouch.

Cheers,

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA