Re: [OM] Re: Expodisc (was "In need of 2nd OM body")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Expodisc (was "In need of 2nd OM body")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:08:28 -0500
Hi Lex,

At 03:04 PM 7/11/2000 PDT, you wrote:
>George's theories about exposure are also occasionally subjected to ridicule
>by some folks on CompuServe, mostly because he's attempted to link the zone
>system to color photography.  Purists say this is impossible, hence
>dismissing Wallace entirely.  I, OTOH, will listen to anybody at least once,
>dismiss the nonsense and steal the good ideas, claiming them as my own.
>
>For example, Wallace is a proponent of pre-flashing film for contrast
>control.  While he recommends Kodachrome for this practice, I've tried it on
>Fuji Sensia and on Agfa color print film.  In both cases I noticed some
>improvement in contrast control and, in the case of the Agfa film, a
>remarkable increase in color saturation.  But experts say this is nonsense,
>so I'm probably wrong, as usual.  ;^>
>
>Lex

Good for you for trying it. I used to flash Kodachrome occasionally and
George also had a wafer that was useful for flashing Cibachrome as well.
Flashing certainly works.  It needs to be used sparingly in most cases, but
it is another creative control, and nothing wrong with that.

George is a very old-fashioned photographer in many ways, certainly.
That's one thing I like about him, as he forms a bridge to a different
generation.  I was surprised to learn that he owns an OM-4.

Regards,

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA