Re: [OM] 85MM lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 85MM lens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:51:43 PDT
Warren, regarding that 24/2 lens, yup, I'd let John H. fix it up for you. I've repaired lenses with sticky diaphragms and while it can be done it's a huge, tedious PITA. So far I've confined myself to old style Canon FD breechlock mount lenses, which are relatively easy to disassemble and reassemble. Best to practice on a dispensible lens like a 50/1.8 mushroom farm.

Also, frankly, I believe optics should be removed before filter ring dents are pounded out. Use of special clamp devices to straighten filter rings is another matter. But there's no point in adding another impact insult to the same lens if it can be avoided.

BTW, anybody notice that 50/3.5 macro on eBay this week with the custom pliers engraving around the filter ring? Purty.

Lex

From: WKato@xxxxxxx

Last week I did find a 24/2 for $100. The filter ring was dented but the
block of wood technique straightened it out enough to be usuable. But the
diaphragm also is very sticky.

I've heard to use no lube at all when cleaning the blades. I may send it to
Hermanson to CLA this.

Warren