Re: [OM] screens

Subject: Re: [OM] screens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:14:06 PDT
Pete, since tripods aren't allowed lemme suggest a couple other possibilities for stability. How 'bout a monopod that looks like a cane - the CamCane, I think? It's a British-made product and I've heard that Porter's in the U.S. sells it as well. A walking stick with a ball top, fitted into a cuplike device mounted in the camera's tripod socket.

Another possibility - with a wide angle lens, simply let the camera hang from the neckstrap and fire it via cable release or self timer. As anyone who's used a TLR can confirm, this is steadier than handholding.

Additional stability can be provided by fastening a cord between the tripod socket and looping it around your belt buckle. Not too much tension, tho', as that might actually increase vibration. You can pick up cheap carry straps with tripod socket mounting screws from most camera shops. I got one at Ritz with a cheap vinyl strap. Cut off the vinyl strap and substituted paracord, which I can adjust as needed.

There's a also an entire harness of some sort designed for outdoors photographers that restrains the camera against the chest until unhooked somehow. I haven't tried one but it seems like a good choice for use with a wide angle lens.

Any of these techniques would work best with a small, lightweight prime lens since most wide angle zooms tend to unbalance the diminutive OMs.

Lex

From: Peter Dixon <P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

thanks to everyone who replied on and off the list ; it was the
(small) amount of convincing I needed to pick up a 2-13 screen.

Tom - you're right about the 35/2 and 24/2, if only I could afford
them; the 28/2.8 has to suffice at the mo!! Tripods not allowed
either, makes for a challenging picture-taking situation......

Cheers

Pete