Re: [OM] 85MM

Subject: Re: [OM] 85MM
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:50:00 +0000
At 01:27 7/13/00 , Ed Brillhart wrote:
>Thanks everyone for the good (ha ha) comments about the 85MM/2 that I
>bought. I love photography and  OM cameras but I'm really pretty dumb when
>it comes to the value of the different lenses. I depend a lot on the advice
>I get here and on a friend of mine who works at the camera store that sold
>me the lens. He said that the lens was definitely worth the $100.00 and all
>of you have absolutely confirmed that.  Thanks again.

I think you got a *very* good deal.

The 85mm f/2 Zuiko is probably not talked about that much because it lives
in the shadow of the legendary (and very expensive) 100mm f/2, the
legendary (also very expensive) 90/2 Macro, and the more common and
inexpensive 100/2.8 Zuikos.

However, the 85/2 is an interesting focal length, has excellent performance
(slightly soft wide open at f/2), and is considerably smaller and lighter
than its 100/2 big brother (it's about the same as the 100/2.8).  The
heuristic (rule-of-thumb) for standard lenses is a focal length equal to
the frame diagonal, or a diagonal angle of view between 50 and 55 degrees.
This approximates the perspective of human vision.  For 35mm (24x36mm) the
frame diagonal is 43mm which fuels some of the 40mm/2 pancake's status.
The 50mm diagonal is 47 degrees, slightly under the hueristic.  The
heuristic for portrait lenses is 2 times (up to 2.5 or 3X) the "standard"
focal length.  This places the 85/2 almost exactly at twice the frame
diagonal and right in line with the heursitc for portraiture.

The three preferred focal lengths for 35mm portraiture are 85, 100 and 135.
 Which depends on personal preference, whether you are shooting 1/3, 2/3 or
3/3 portraits, and how close and tight you like to work.  I've used 100mm
quite a bit and 135mm for getting tight 1/3's, but sometimes wished I had
the wider 85/2 and would probably use it more than the 135mm for portraits.

GL with your new lens

-- John
(who is saving for an 85/2 of his own)