Re: [OM] Re: light meters

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: light meters
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:54:16 -0400
Cc: WKato@xxxxxxx
Yes, The CL only meters what Rand mentions.  It's not the ideal answer.

They are nice cameras, especially affordable (from a Leica standpoint) with the 40/2 Summicron. Very compact and able to take almost all the great Leica lenses. The stalk-mounted meter cell can be problematic though. Lots of unecessary movement there. But that was the only solution at the time.

Count on $1-200 for a CL overhaul. I recently bought a sick one for $300, and it now is at the doctor having $200 worth of work done: New hot shoe, CLA, new ratchet, take up spool, and other stuff. If you want a nice, guaranteed one, email me off-list and I can give you a source for overhauled bodies.

You pay a bit less for non-Leica branded bodies. Leica CL = most expensive, then Leitz Minolta CL, then Minolta CL. They're all the same camera though. The CLE is also nice, but not easy to get fixed. Look on www.cameraquest.com for nice overviews of both the CL and CLE.

Skip

At 01:12 AM 7/13/00 -0400, you wrote:

> Skip,
>    I don't think that the Leica CL is the answer as the manual infers
>  that it (the spot meter) views about 1/3 the height of the viewing
>  screen.  There is no actual figure given in my manual.
>  Rand E.

I would love to have one anyway. I lusted in my heart right after it came out
and the Minolta version also. I still do (sigh).

Warren