[OM] shutter curtain

Subject: [OM] shutter curtain
From: Ruediger Betzold <rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:12:38 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi

intro: just bought a Zuiko 3.5/50 macro from a Nikkon guy who
played around a little with OM
(said he uses Nikkon for over 25 years as journalist)
we get into some smalltalk and now I'm wondering myself

He want's to convice me that the shutter curtains from OM cameras are
not so long-lifing and more error prone
than those from Nikkon (he was talking about the
Nikkon proffesional series for journalists, etc), says the problem is mostly
the textile style of the shutter and the way it is build/constructed
 in the Olympus
cameras. Because I never have had a Nikkon in my hand I don't know the material
the Nikkon shutters are made (not textile ? some sort of metal plate ?)

The other curious thing: he said that Olympus lenses may get some problems
from the mechanics of the diaphragm if they are not used for some time
(he means 2 or 3 years or up) e.g. put the lens in a shelf.
The lubricant gets old and the diaphragm may stick and of course he never
had these problems with Nikkon.
As some form of argument he said that almost all journalists
(at least in germany) use Nikkons and not Olympus.

Just for information what's up with these stories (/tales) ?

I guess he can't be right cause he isn't a zuikoholic ;-))

Rudy