[OM] Gold vs. Royal Gold Grain [was: Kodak Supra film experience?]

Subject: [OM] Gold vs. Royal Gold Grain [was: Kodak Supra film experience?]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:23:14 +0000
At 00:44 7/14/00 , Boris wrote:

>Hi, all.
>...speaking of the qualities of the Gold and the Royal Gold, there was an
>article
>in Popular photography on the subject. Based on their tests, they concluded
>that one should not be waisting money on the Royal Gold, because it is
>grainier.
>
>I do not know anything about it, since use Fuji products and the biggest size
>I enlarge to is 5X7. Nice talking to you again.
>Ciao
>Boris

Boris, do you have the year and month for the article?

Unless something is grossly incorrect in Kodak's data sheets Gold 100, 200
and Gold Max 400 have significantly larger grain compared to Royal Gold
100, 200 and 400.  Here's the Gold/Gold Max and Royal Gold portion of the
table I posted to another thread comparing Kodak's "print grain index"
numbers.  Data was taken from Kodak's data sheets on the films.  Smaller
index number equals smaller grain.

   ISO  Gold/Max  Royal Gold
   100     45        28
   200     47        41
   400     49        39
   800     57         *
  1000      *        57
  * Not made in this speed

Subjectively, my results with the ISO 100 version both films agree with the
objective numbers in the table.  Royal Gold 100 has given noticeably higher
resolution in even 4x6 prints.  Royal Gold looks sharper when viewed with
the naked eye and you can see why when you examine Gold and Royal Gold
glossy 4x6 and 5x7 prints with a loupe.

For someone using a $19.95 P&S from the rack next to the grocery store cash
register, it is unlikely they would notice much, if any, difference.  It
requires a lens(es) and printing with resolving power equal to or greater
than Royal Gold's grain structure to see it (among other things such as no
camera shake).

All that said with grain indices, there is also a subjective quality to
grain structure.  It is why some photogs would rather use Tri-X which has
huge grain compared to TMax 100.  Tri-X has a smoothness like pebbles at
the bottom of a stream.  TMax 100 has a harsh, jagged grain (T-grain
technology).  I don't know how Gold and Royal Gold compare in that respect.

-- John