Re: [OM] OM Zuiko 75mm / 150mm f4 zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Zuiko 75mm / 150mm f4 zoom
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:37:22 -0700
John Hudson writes:

<< For a 75 / 150 f4 zoom is this lens worth serious consideration or
are there other more up to date brands and models of 75 / 150 zooms
which have superior performance, engineering, and optics for the same
price range in which these sell for new and used and which can be fitted
to OM bodies? >>

Well, I haven't tested any other 75-150mm zooms.  By and large, these
were conservative, budget oriented zooms. Most of the optical formulas
are quite dated, having been replaced with: 65-200, 80-200, 70-200, and
70-210 ranges. The 75-150 Zuiko, Kiron (Kino Precision), and Vivitar
(perhaps made by Kino Precision) are fine travel lenses, give the most
popular focal length choices for portraits, are readily available and
are comparatively cheap. It really comes down to one's budget and needs.

I personally can't see ever wanting a 75-150mm Zuiko. The 65-200mm Zuiko
is a better performing alternative and the 80-200mm f/2.8 Tamron is the
performance champ (followed closely by the lighter 80-200 f/2.8 Tokina
AT-X), when I can stand the extra weight and length. For a cheaper
alternative, I'd consider a 70-210 or 80-200 Kiron. There is also the
really hard to find, but outstanding performance 60-120mm f/2.8 Tokina
AT-X.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV