Re: [OM] eclipsed eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] eclipsed eclipse
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:46:23 +0000
At 23:19 7/16/00 , Acer V wrote:
>durn, it was completely fogged over making it hard to see even the
>offshore oil rigs they had around. it was clear as a bell when i left here
>at 3.15a, and by the time i got to the 91/55 freeways, the moon had
>disappeared. even back here dad said it clouded over at 5am. bugger. at
>least there is a solar 'clipse dec 25 of this year (i'll miss the one july
>31!!)
>
>/Acer V

In sunny So. Calif. no less.  That's too bad.  Having lived there twice,
coastal ground fog (the marine layer?) can be a pain.  If it makes you feel
any better we had, as a real rarity, a very clear and cloudless sky last night.

I was disappointingly too far east for the eclipse, but did take a few
shots of a fully illuminated moon using a 2X-A on the 300mm set at f/5.6
(the full moon is tonight, but full illumination spans about three nights).
 Even at an effective f/11 it really snaps into focus on the matte.  Didn't
need to worry about the microprism or split image.  No aurora borealis
here, but will look again tonight.  There is some low-level light pollution
to the north and if there was an aurora I may have been too far south for it.

Today was beautiful too.  A real rarity in Hoosier-land:  a complete
weekend of fluffy cotton-ball cumulus and good blue sky (no heat haze from
humidity).  Finished the rest of the Kodachrome 64 scurrying around
shooting local landmarks that have been on my list for a while.  Made heavy
use of the 35/2.8 Shift and encountered two situations where shifting two
directions was necessary: up, and either left or right to keep from turning
the tripod head.  Looks like it worked out well, at least the perspectives
looked good in the viewfinder.  There's been more than one Hoosier on the
loose recently.

After barely wedging a couple large urban structures into the 35/2.8 frame
today, I know my Zuikoholism will not be sated until a 24/3.5 Shift is in
the camera bag also.

-- John