Re: [OM] Quality of Zuiko single coated 50/1.4

Subject: Re: [OM] Quality of Zuiko single coated 50/1.4
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:41:21 -0700
Ray M. writes:

<< I know the usual wisdom is: "Don't worry - the differences bewtween
SC and MC aren't that great." However, in this case it would appear that
they are very significant. So, has anyone any comments? >>

Makes you question conventional wisdom, doesn't it?  Look into the
optical design and you will see a redesign, esp. of the element group
immediately behind the diaphragm.

There are numerous examples of optical redesigns between single and
fully multicoated versions of OM System Zuiko lenses.  Multicoating
changes the optical quality of the glass it is applied to.  Olympus
couldn't simply change the coating of its existing "SC" lenses.

Seems I might be wrong about having tested a "multicoated" 135mm f/3.5
I can't recall who's lens it was.  Mine in SC.  Anyone sure they have a
traditional purple casted MC 135mm f/3.5 ??  I don't think one really
exists and it is just another error in the Olympus OM System Lens
Handbook.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV