[OM] Bounce Grip 2

Subject: [OM] Bounce Grip 2
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:08:26 GMT
Cc: rnitschke@xxxxxxxx
Hi,

Second, my bounce grip 2 is on the blink and I wonder if this is something that I may be capable of repairing. Quick synopsis of the last time I used it. Camera froze with the shutter open after the last picture, and the BG2 became very hot. I took the batteries out of the BG2 and they were almost smoking (okay, slight exaggeration). After that it hasn't worked since and always heats up when the batteries are put in. The repair shop says I should chuck it, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This has all the makings of a short circuit somewhere in the PBG2. I doubt chucking (this means "patting/tapping", right?) the PBG2 will resolve it (although it may do so temporarily in case e.g. two unshielded cables are touching). A much better idea, IMO, would be to open the PBG2 (or if this is too complicated, have a repair person like John Hermanson do this) and check the electrical contacts. If you can't directly see something obvious that is wrong, you can try pinpointing the defective area using a multimeter. Often finding and resolving a short circuit is not that complicated, so I would say it's well worth having a go at it...

Success!
Olafo