Re: [OM] Coup on the 28-48!

Subject: Re: [OM] Coup on the 28-48!
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:24:15 -0700
[Hmmm, until now I didn't know this was also forwarded to the OLY list.
 Sorry, I'm waaaay behind with reading the list digests.  Skip sent the
 following to me directly, and we had a private exchange on the subject.]

Skip Williams wrote:

>Gary,
>Regarding the COMPLETED auction at:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370961753
>
>How in the world did you get someone to pay $600.00 for a 28-48/4
>Zoom??!!  There were even two guys bidding on it?  I know it was NIB,
>but geeez! I have a nice one and I like it, but nowhere 600 smackeroos
>worth!

Hmmmmm, let's see: extorsion?!  NOT!

I guess I got lucky.  I never expected this item to go so high.  My
reserve was very reasonable -- under $400.  Naturally, there were two
bidders who went after this 28-48/4 with a vengeance!  I only wish I
had another such lens NIB: I hate to disappoint potential customers.
:-) :-)

In any case, I'd like to thank everyone for the kudos.  Obviously,
I was very happy with the outcome, and you all will be glad to know
that with the oil prices on the rise, and with Vegas being a desert
(in more ways than one! :-)), I'm already shopping for a new camel...

As to the implications of of the above high price tag, I would advise
against reading too much into it.  FYI, the zoom buyer is a highly paid
professional who happens to reside in a somewhat isolated location (the
boonies!).  I guess his decision to pay a higher than normal premium was
influenced more by a combination of his geography and level of personal
income than by a cold calculus of this item's realistic market value.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA