Re: [OM] Aftermarket Super Wide and 500mm mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Aftermarket Super Wide and 500mm mirror
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:45:45 GMT
The Samyang 17-28mm, which is becoming a bit more difficult to locate, has many fans including some discriminating pros whose opinions I respect.

Samyang is the parent company of Phoenix, which also markets a WA zoom, altho' I believe all Phoenix lenses are AF only.

Tamron, Tokina and Sigma may still make WA lenses for the OM mount, I'm not sure. Certainly enough were made that there are plenty on the used market.

Keep an eye out for the Vivitar 17mm prime, reportedly an excellent lens, now discontinued. I informally tested one of their current 19mm lenses and it seemed fine to me - good resolution, contrast and surprisingly low distortion.

Unfortunately I recently peered through a Canon "L" series ultra-WA and am suffering from aftershock. I declined to try the store's 19mm Zuiko for fear of a relapse. I'll have to wait a while for my expectations to settle to an affordable level.
Lex Jenkins
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/

From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx

I'm interested in something in the 17 to 19mm range for my OM system and have to date been unsuccessful in finding the really wide Zuikos at an affordable
price.
Any aftermarket lenses that should be
concidered by one accustomed to Zuiko quality. Any suggestion would be
greatly appreciated.