Re: [OM] Aftermarket Super Wide and 500mm mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Aftermarket Super Wide and 500mm mirror
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:39:32 EDT

>  I'm interested in something in the 17 to 19mm range for my OM system and
have
>  to date been unsuccessful in finding the really wide Zuikos at an
affordable
>  price. Any ideas about a lens in that range that gives reasonable
>  quality results

I have a Zuiko 18/3.5 and the 21/3.5 and the 21 is by far my more favorite.
It seems to be sharper in the center and contrastier at the edges. There's
also (naturally) less linear distortion at the edges. The 16mm you were after
you know is a fisheye type, right? I also used to own a Vivitar 17 that was a
notch below the 18mm in terms of sharpness and contrast. Also some people
like the Tamron Adaptall 17, which you can still buy new.  I haven't tested
this and is quite an old design. I don't know if you can get the Sigma 15mm
in the Oly mount.  Lastly, I have ordered a Phoenix 19-35 zoom to have a
point and shoot wide angle lens.  I will see how it stacks up against the
Zuikos and advise later.

>  I'm also looking for a 500mm mirror.  Saw a Zuiko on ebay
>  that had a starting point of $250 and that needed cleaning . . . looked
like
>  at least $400 + proposition.  Any aftermarket lenses that should be
>  concidered by one accustomed to Zuiko quality. Any suggestion would be
>  greatly appreciated.

I have a Tamron 500/8 and it is fine for a telephoto. Tests shows it to be a
half-notch less sharp than the Zuiko.  I am satisfied with it to have a
backpackable nature lens. Check out the Hawkins site where he has posted
results of the older Modern Photo tests:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-cat-tests.txt
Looking at the contrast figures, the Zuiko is by far on top and the Tamron
next. I also have a Korean 500/8, which may be the same as the current
Vivitar, and it is hardly  worth the packing material.

Good luck
Warren