Re: [OM] Contax Digicam

Subject: Re: [OM] Contax Digicam
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:14:09 -0400
At 7:17 PM +0000 7/21/00, you wrote:

Wish it were so, but there's no indication that Olympus is concerned about backward compatibility. Contax is because of the very high prices of their lenses, which they don't intend to compromise. For them, ignoring backward compatibility could alienate a significant share of their slim customer base.

For now it appears Olympus plans to stick with the ZLR formula until they can incorporate something like Canon's image stabilization technology into Zuikos for the digital format.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether Olympus actually intends to ever again be truly competitive among the ranks of pro cameras in any format. Honestly, I just don't believe they do. It appears they're satisfied with a share of the "prosumer" market. (Ugh, hate that term as much as the term "dramedy" for funny dramas, or comedies with some drama, or whatever the hell it is. Sounds like a camel.)

I'm figuring as much, but on the other hand, I'm also figuring that once
there's a body with a full-frame sensor in it, the rest is just a matter
for some smart machinist...

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx