Re: [OM] Om-2s received!

Subject: Re: [OM] Om-2s received!
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:41:52 GMT
John Pendley wrote:

it seems to me there have been more complaints about problems with >the -2sp than other Olys. Am I wrong?

Well... <pause>... there are a few known niggles with the OM2sp - battery drain, no replacement main boards any more. However, if you don't pay over the odds for one I think it's great. I have one and use it a lot, despite having a number of other OM bodies. The spot meter is a great help in certain circumstances. If you're shopping for one, either do the battery drain test (see the mailing list's archives) or get a guarantee (if from a dealer) that if you encounter any such problems you can get a refund. I paid £150 for mine and, while I think it needs a CLA, I know every camera requires attention, so it should be considered part of the running costs. The black paint is known to come off pretty easily, so they don't always look very nice, but it can mean the price is more favourable.

Talking of prices, I'll have to "do a half-Doris" ;-) and admit that I picked up an OM40 (OM-PC) for 60 UKP (inc postage) last week. It's mint, only had 3 rolls through it. It's for my Dad, not me, I have enough OMs already*. His crappy OM20 locked up again, and isn't worth repairing, the OM40, like the OM2sp, appears to be a good, underrated model.

Simon E.

* The truth detector has scanned this email and detected a blatant lie in line 22. The correspondent is hoping his Dad will tire of SLR photography and just use his p&s so the OM40 can be assimilated into the collection ;-)